King's Road Rocks!

King's Road Rocks!

Monday 8 November 2010

Black Velvet at The Phene

Sitting in The Phene just before fireworks night in Battersea Park, I overheard a man handing over a Black Velvet to his friend. I was astonished that any pub in London would serve a Black Velvet after an experience long ago at the Hollywood Arms: a barman had tried and failed a few times to make this drink (Guinness and Champagne) and then vowed never to bother ever again, after having wasted half a bottle of champagne with his attempts. The only places where I've discovered expertly poured Black Velvets in London have been at The Wolseley and J Sheekey and both times ordered with oysters.




At the Phene, the Black Velvet was served in a pint glass and the man complained to his friend that they hadn’t poured enough Champagne into the glass. I felt like interrupting and suggesting that they order a half pint next time so that there'd be less Guinness. But I was all too excited to discover that there was a pub in Chelsea willing to make a Black Velvet in the first place. I can't vouch for how the Black Velvet tasted at The Phene but I'm still impressed that they gave it a go. Now to find somewhere in Chelsea that serves oysters along with this smooth drink which is ideally served in a tankard. That would be a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment