King's Road Rocks!

King's Road Rocks!

Sunday 6 March 2011

Espresso Martini at Brinkley’s

Brinkley's is one of my favourite local cocktail haunts. It doesn't matter which day of the week it is, this place is always rocking at night; and just because it doesn’t have the space of a nightclub, it doesn’t stop people from dancing. The clientele at Brinkley’s is very much local and there is always a feeling here that the party is happening away from the rest of the world.

I usually go to Brinkley’s on a school night but the other week, after a day of Sunday shopping, we decided to pop in for an afternoon drink.  There was a football match on the screen (Arsenal lost!) and as two girls gossiped at the next table and a number of guys around the bar watched the football, I decided to order an Espresso Martini with the bf.
Actually, I ended up having two Espresso Martinis and by the end of the second one, I started to remember that a bar didn’t determine the quality of the drink, the bartender did.
As for the drinks I ordered, the first martini was deceptively easy to drink. It was quite sweet and very easy to knock back. The martini lacked the bitter edge that a coffee lover would appreciate whilst there was nothing to suggest this was an alcoholic drink.
The second martini was quite different altogether. It had a subtle bitterness that gave the drink edge and the experience was slowly sipping rather than mindlessly knocking back.
Admittedly, there was a level a naivety with my first drink.  It wasn’t an innocent glass of coffee and the second martini made me realise that. Needlessly to say, I was tipsy before supper time.
Overall, the experience was delicious and as always at Brinkley's it was a great pleasure. But if I can remember the next time I come across a good cocktail, I will try to note the person who made it as well as the bar.

First Espresso Martini
Second Espresso Martini

No comments:

Post a Comment